"...I think this musician with his „pianocap“ is one of the most exciting players of the young european jazz scene. The listener experiences something new when David Helbock plays. And it ́s never „top-heavy“ music – it ́s music that thrills the body and the mind..."
(Roland Spiegel - Bavarian Radio)
Two rewards and the audience prize at the world biggest jazz-piano-solo competition of the Jazzfestival Montreux, a lot of enthusiastic/international reviews for his CDs and the most important prize in Austria 2011 - the "Outstanding Artist Award" - David Helbock, the pianoplayer coming from a small little village in Austria called Koblach, is with no doubt, has already had a great international musical career.
Helbock is not only a great pianist, he is also a very individual thinker, who is investing not only a lot of dexterity but also quite an amount of brain activity to his projects.
David Helbock, born on the 28th of january 1984, began playing the piano at the age of six.
He studied at the Feldkirch Conservatory with Prof. Ferenc Bognar, where he finished 2005 with an "excellent" degree in performance and since 2000 he took lessons with the New York jazz pianist Peter Madsen, who became his teacher, mentor and friend.
David Helbock played Tours and Recordings with different projects in countries like the USA, Australia, Mexico, Russia, Kasachstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Mongolia, Korea, Philippines, South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenia, Senegal, Marokko, Iran, Tunisia, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and all over Europe.
Since the start of his musical career David Helbock is also very active as a composer. One of his works is among others a big „One-Year compositional project“ where he wrote a new piece every day for a whole year. (In April 2010 his "Personal Realbook" with over 600 pages of music was released)
- several 1st Prize Winner - Youthcompetition "Prima la Musica"
- 2001 "Bösendorfer-Scholarship" Winner
- 2002 Talent-Competition Winner with the band "Tat-twam-asi"
- 2006 Winner of the international Competition "New Generation" in Straubing (GER)
- 2006 CD Release in the Series Jazzthing Next Generation with the HDV Trio
- 2007 Podiumsprize Liechtenstein
- 2007 Prizewinner at the world biggest Jazz-piano-solo competition in Montreux
- 2010 Prizewinner at the same competition and in addition the "Audienceprize"
- 2011 Outstanding Artist Award of Austria
- 2014 Invitation to the BMW-World Jazzaward
- 2015 IBK Prize (International Bodensee Conference)
- 1998 „Happiness“ - Self Released
- 2003 „Emotions“ - Label Gramola Wien
- 2004 „Transformation“ - Label Gramola Wien
- 2006 „Celebrating modern Genius - Label Doublemoon Records Köln
- 2007 „Time" - Label YVP Music Ulm
- 2008 „CIA DVD - Sunology" CIA
- 2008 „All In" - Label Doublemoon Records Köln
- 2010 „CIA - Thousand Miles Journey" CIA
- 2010 „David Helbock´s Random/Control" - Label Traumton Records Berlin
- 2011 „Diagonal" - Label Traumton Records Berlin
- 2012 „Purple" - Label Traumton Records Berlin
- 2014 „Think of Two" - Label Traumton Records Berlin
- 2014 "Jazz Composer´s Orchestra Update" with Michael Mantler - Label ECM Records
- 2015 "Aural Colors" - Label Traumton Records Berlin
- 2015 "Mistura" - Label Unit Records
- 2016 "Into the Mystic" Label ACT Music
- 1990 - 1998 Piano instructions with Nora Calvo Smith at the Musicschool Feldkirch
- 1994 - 2000 Piano instructions with Paul Winter at the Jazzseminar Dornbirn
- 1998 - 2001 Drum instructions with Stefan Greussing at the Musicschool Feldkirch
- 1998 - 2005 "excellent" concert degree with Ferenc Bognar (Conservatory Feldkirch)
- 2000 - 2008 Privatstudent with the New York Jazzpianist Peter Madsen
- 2006 - 2007 one Semester at the University of Arts Bern (SJS) with Thierry Lang
- Touring and recording with different Projects as a leader in countries like the USA, Australia, Mexico, Russia, Kasachstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Mongolia, Korea, Philippines, South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenia, Senegal, Marokko, Iran, Tunisia, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and all over Europe.
- Playing on Festivals like Traumzeit Duisburg, Jazzwochen Burghausen, Jazzfestival Münster, Jazzfestival Saalfelden, Jazz d ́or Strasbourg, Jazzfestival Montreux, Jazzfestival St.Louis, Java Jazzfestival, Providencia Jazzfestival Chile, Eurojazzfestival Mexiko, Kuala Lumpur Jazzfestival, Melbourne Jazzfestival, Jarasum Jazzfestival and many more.
- In April 2010 David Helbock released his Personal Realbook where he wrote a new piece every day for a whole year.